Frequently Asked Questions
What is the Nord Design System? #
Nord is Nordhealth’s design system for products, digital experiences and brand. It’s a collection of reusable components and tools, guided by clear standards, that can be assembled together to build digital products and experiences.
Who works on Nord? #
Nord Design System has a core team of designers and developers inside Nordhealth who are dedicated to building and supporting the system. The core team includes Viljami Salminen, Eric Habich and Nick Williams.
Why is the design system public? #
Public documentation makes sharing and collaboration between different teams and third party vendors much easier as it increases the system’s visibility and accountability. This also makes us push towards higher quality content and enables us to be more transparent. Finally, this also serves as an amazing tool that we can leverage in recruiting.
What is the goal of the design system? #
The goal of Nord Design System is to improve UI consistency and quality, while making our software design and development processes more efficient. Nord also helps to establish a common vocabulary between everyone in our organization and ease collaboration between different teams and disciplines.
What’s on the roadmap? #
See the Roadmap page for up to date plans.
What’s the meaning of “draft” badges? #
These badges indicate whether something is ready to be used in production. Orange (“Draft”) status means that it’s still under work and not ready to be used in production environment or design work.
Can I use Nord in any project? #
Is Nord open source? #
No, but feel free to browse this website to learn how we approach design and development at Nordhealth.
What tools do you use? #
What packages do you offer? #
What’s your working culture? #
The following set of fundamental rules allows us to get to the highest level of productivity while benefiting both the company and our team members.
- We avoid meetings as much as possible. Instead of having them, we communicate asynchronous to each other via Linear, GitLab, Notion, Figma, and (occasionally) Slack, expecting responses within 24 hours.
- We don’t do team wide standups or sync meetings, except one meeting at the start of every Linear cycle. Here we walk the through tasks in Linear and also discuss about how the team feels, what motivates them right now, and what would they want to change.
- Most collaboration and discussion happens in feedback loops, using the above mentioned tools, which requires clear and thoughtful communication from everyone.
- We don’t have strict deadlines. We ship incrementally as we move through the backlog and cycles in Linear and launch new things as they become ready.
- Our team members should be able to work on what they think is fun, or rely on their intuition when picking tasks from the backlog. Our public design system roadmap holds us accountable.
- We focus on persistent iteration over flashy launches.
How do I get started with Nord? #
See the Getting Started section in the documentation.
Where can I find Nordhealth logo? #
You can find the logo in different formats from our downloads page.
What’s the difference between RGB, CMYK and Spot colors? #
The simple answer is that RGB is for anything digital or on a screen, and CMYK and Spot are for print. If you’re working on print and don’t know what Spot colors are, then we recommend you to always pick the CMYK version instead.
What browsers are supported? #
Nord Design System is tested on and supports the following browsers.
- Google Chrome Desktop (two latest major versions)
- Google Chrome Mobile (two latest major versions)
- Apple Safari Desktop (two latest major versions)
- Apple Safari Mobile (two latest major versions)
- Firefox (two latest major versions)
- Microsoft Edge (two latest major versions)
- Samsung Browser (two latest major versions)
Can I use Nord together with other CSS frameworks? #
Yes. All CSS selectors are prefixed with
.n- to prevent collisions.
What languages are the components written in? #
What are you using to generate the documentation? #
I need a new icon? #
All new icons should be added to Nordicons first. Please see Support page for more information on how to contact us. We can usually add an icon during the same day if there’s a hurry. Please keep in mind though that if there’s a similar icon already in use, we will suggest you to use that instead.
How can I contribute? #
See the Support section in the documentation for ways to contact us.
I found a bug. How do I report it? #
First, make sure the problem is reproducible. Once confirmed, send us a bug report.
I couldn’t find an answer to my question #
See the Support guidelines for instructions on how to reach us.